Thursday, May 10, 2012

Getting ready to start flowering again.


 Psychopsis 'Kahlihi' has thrown another spike. I love this orchid, one flower spike lasted for over 7 years throwing flowers on a regular schedule. I actually cut the spike off 2 years ago to give my plant a break. I have had this orchid for about 18 years now. It has always been my favorite orchid and I doubt that would ever change.
I have this sitting on an east window sill with weekly waterings. During winter months I will from time to time forget to water. This orchid will thrive with occasional skipping with weekly water. The photo is from its last flower spike that was clearly getting tired. Flower size will diminish as the spike ages. Normally the flowers are large and perfect!
As of  8/1/13, nice sized bud that is soon to open! I so love this orchid.

2 comments:

  1. A week after I made this post. My dear hubby had cut the spike off accidentely when he shut the window. One year later and Im awaiting a new spike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a flower spike growing which is 3 inches long now. I moved this plant to a new location to protect the spike from my well meaning husband. It has been a long time since I have seen this awesome flower.

      Delete