Sunday, April 7, 2013

Witch Hazel Fire Charm




This beauty that is in full bloom in my yard is Hamamelis x intermedia  'Feuerzauber'  (aka Fire Charm).  I am on the border between zone 5b/6a. I have had this shrub about 9 years now and its one of my favorites.  Ive been growing in part light shade, in moist soil. Most of my yard is clay loam and very acidic!  Despite Witch Hazels dislike of acidity, this shrub is robust. I do feed it with tree spikes twice yearly and lime the around this shrub atleast twice a year. This shrub is decidous and flowers every year from the second week of February to well into March.

2 comments:

  1. It's a beauty
    Where'd ya get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gay, I got it many years ago from a local nursery which is now closed. Lexington Gardens used to be in Newtown CT. and had carried several varieties. I know this can be found online. I can recommend Broken Arrow, White Flower Farm & Planters Choice nurseries, all are in CT.

      Delete